Notre Dame Congregations with common roots meet
The sisters in leadership from six Notre Dame Congregations with common roots met at the SSND Generalate, May 8-11, 2023. Sister Roxanne Schares, General Superior of the School Sisters of Notre Dame, hosted and facilitated the meeting. Other participants were:
- Cécile Marion, CND-CSA, Superior General of the Congregation of Notre Dame – Canonesses of St. Augustine (France) and Sr. Marie-Alexia Nguyen, CND-CSA, interpreter.
- M. Regina Greefrath, CSA, representative of the Federation of Canonesses of St. Augustine (Germany)
- M. Metoda Piatničková, CSSND, Superior General, Congregation of the School Sisters of Notre Dame (Czech Republic) and Sr. Miriam Bombová, CSSND, interpreter.
- Zrinka Šestak, DSNG, Superior General of the Congregation of Sisters of Our Lady – Zagreb (Croatia) and Sr. Thea Filipović, DSNG, interpreter.
- M. Lívia Vicsek, SNDB, Superior General of the Congregation of Sisters of Our Lady in Bachka (Serbia) and Sr. M. Elvíra Tóth, SNDB, interpreter.
Embracing Vulnerability on the Synodal Journey was the theme that guided their reflections. The days included sharing on the article “Wisdom for the Synodal Journey” by Dr. Jessie Rodgers and presentations of information about each congregation. The sisters visited the SSND congregational novitiate and honored the Generalate community with their presence for the celebration of the Feast Day of Blessed Theresa of Jesus Gerhardinger on May 9.
A highlight of their days together was the opportunity to attend the general audience of Pope Francis in St. Peter’s Square on May 10, followed by a presentation on “St. Augustine and Synodality” from Rev. Joe Farrell, OSA at the Augustinian Curia. Father Joe also gave the sisters a tour of the house, including the breathtaking rooftop terrace view of St. Peter’s Square right next to the house, and celebrated Eucharist for them in the Curia chapel. After dinner together, the sisters had time to visit special places in Rome.
The meeting concluded the morning of May 11 with plans about a future meeting in May 2025 to continue strengthening their relationship.