The Wilton Province of the School Sisters of Notre Dame in Connecticut was established on June 15, 1957. It had been part of the Baltimore Province. How much they were a part of the community is seen in an event that took place thirty years later. A January fire in the well-built chapel nearly destroyed much of what was built. A tragedy was avoided through the efforts of firefighters from surrounding communities. Several of the stained glass windows were severely damaged. Mr. V.K. Jonynas, the Lithuanian émigré who had created the windows, sent a message to the Council that no one was to restore them but himself. These windows were among his finest work. Many people united in protecting the Sisters and the motherhouse.